Omega-3 fats are healthy fats. They have a number of health benefits:
- In adults, they act as a natural blood thinner, reducing risk of blood clots and heart disease and potentially have beneficial effects related to cancer and inflammatory bowel disease.
- In infants, they help with brain, nerve and eye development
Since our bodies can’t make omega-3 fats, we need to get them from food.
There are 3 types of omega-3 fats:
- ALA: found in flaxseeds, walnuts, soy products, omega-3 eggs, some vegetable oils like flaxseed, soybean and canola
- DHA & EPA: found in fatty fish like salmon, mackarel, anchovies, sardines, herring, arctic char and trout
Research shows that our bodies are better able to absorb DHA and EPA than ALA, so aim for 2 servings of fish per week to meet your needs. One serving is equal to 1/2 cup or the size of a deck of cards.
If you’re vegetarian, vegan or simply don’t like the taste of fish, first try and increase your consumption of plant sources of omega-3’s (see “Featured Product” section). You may also benefit from an omega-3 supplement. Speak with your health care professional before starting an omega-3 supplement.
Embrace Spring with these Vietnamese spring rolls! They’re not only super tasty, but also healthy and packed with layers of flavoursome crunch. They’re great as a cool summertime appetizer, or even as a main dish, especially dipped in this zesty homemade peanut sauce.
- Omega-3 rich
- High smoke point
- 100% natural
- No added chemicals, artificial ingredients or preservatives
- Grown, harvested and manufactured in Canada